Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Great Quote and UU

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world - Anne Frank

I found that quote on the UUA website. That works so well with my feelings on last nights post.
Because of a comment on that post it got me thinking about getting in gear to get back involved in a UU church again. There is a small one right down the street from me, and we've been discussing going for a long while.

If you don't know anything at all about Unitarian Universalism, I'll just give you a little from the website that synopsizes it well:
Unitarian Universalism is a liberal religion that encompasses many faith traditions. Unitarian Universalists include people who identify as Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Atheists, Agnostics, Humanists, and others. As there is no official Unitarian Universalist creed, Unitarian Universalists are free to search for truth on many paths.

To quote the Rev. Marta Flanagan, "We uphold the free search for truth. We will not be bound by a statement of belief. We do not ask anyone to subscribe to a creed. We say ours is a non-creedal religion. Ours is a free faith."

Although we uphold shared principles, individual Unitarian Universalists have varied beliefs about everything from scripture to rituals to God.


I would really like the boys to have the Religious Education that is offered with the UU church. I have a friend who has been heavily involved with RE in the UUA for a long time, and I think the RE is wonderful. We are not religious, nor spriritual, but I do want my children to learn about religion, all religion, and why it exists, what it means to various people, etc. I want them to have the critical thinking skills that will allow them to look at the world in a well informed way. I want them to be accepting of religion and other people's beliefs, but not to fall victim to it. I was too easily influenced by a guy I thought was cute, and that got me into a well known cult for many years in my teens and early 20s.

Also, they have an amazing sex ed program for kids, too.

I do want to get back to going to a UU congregation. I saw on the billboard a few months ago for the one down the street that the Sunday sermon was going to be on Humanist Themes in Star Trek. I mean, really. That's kind of awesome.

Anyway, just something I got to thinking about that I keep putting off. UU is really awesome and something I would like to do again. I am also kind of shy about going to a new place like that. Which is silly. It's a church. They like new people. They'll be nice. Well, putting it out here will probably get me to do something about it. I will report back on my progress of church going.

No comments: