Saturday, June 21, 2008

Still Alive

I realized I hadn't actually posted anything after my whiny post. Sorry! I meant to post something much more pleasant soon after.

The kids are playing with the Spore Creature Creator. They are having fun with it. I am looking forward to the game itself! It doesn't come out until September, though.

But it is on my Wishlist, so you know, just in case... Haha. Kidding. It's a low priority on my wishlist. ;)

We rented The Golden Compass, which I am undecided on whether to let the kids watch later this evening. I'm going to read a little more about the "fantasy violence" that caused the PG-13 rating.
I think that if Max wanted to read the His Dark Materials trilogy at this point I would encourage him, so it doesn't make any sense really to deny the movie, though I still need to find out a little more. Of course I would prefer he read the first book instead. Just cause the books are EXCELLENT, and I know that the movie will pale in comparison.

I've let the kids watch PG-13 stuff on occasion, because all "fantasy violence" and other themes are not created equally.

Take Stardust for example. It's got a PG-13 rating, but overall? I had no real issues with it, and let the kids watch it after I initially screened it. But Princess Mononoke will be another few years before I even let my oldest watch it. The themes in that movie are what are too intense for them, more than the violent scenes. I could block out the only really graphic part towards the beginning, but I still think there are a lot of things that would be disturbing to them at their age and maturity levels.

I hate that bird. SOOOOO much. My friend should be here later to take it away. Thank goodness. I'm done with it. (Scream, scream, scream, scream = my sudden and horrible background "music").

I hate to suck so much for my kids, but I really think it's time for me to take a nap for a while. Ugh. 5 hours of mediocre sleep doesn't work for me. I wish I could sleep like a normal person again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my god! I looked at your wishlist and saw "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything". I've wanted to read that for ages! Seriously, a book with a title so amazingly irreverent has to be a good read.