Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bok!


I have decided that one of the breeds of chicken I would like to raise for eggs would be the Araucanas.
"Bok?" you ask.

Well, then, let me tell you!

First of all, they have something called the "Peduncle". Now, how can I not love a breed that had a peduncle from whence ear tufts blossom?
Of course, genetically, you may not always have tufts and other traits specific to the breed, but the eggs will always be blueish or greenish, which I think is neat.



A really great site I found on this breed is here:
Araucanas Online
I love the photos on this site of this breed. There is also a wealth of information about the breed in general.

And speaking of chickens:
Backyard Chickens is one of my favorite places online to lurk around and learn more about keeping chickens and which breeds have the best personalities, etc. I particularly enjoy the forums on that site, where I lurk and read all about adventures with chickens and wait longingly for the day that I will have chickens of my own once more... Sigh.

No comments: